The Monastery of the Caves
Monastery · no year is recorded · Kyiv Pechersk Lavra
Hilarion dug the first cave in the hill above Berestovo while still a priest there, and left it when he was made metropolitan. Antipa of Lyubech came back from Athos as the monk Antony, found the empty cave and settled in it, and when twelve brothers had gathered they dug the great crypt, the church and the cells.
No year is recorded anywhere. The sources that carry this house never date its founding, so the era is fixed by a dated person instead — that is not a founding date. Fixed by Yaroslav the Wise (1054).
Who
Nobody here yet — the sources name a founder this dataset does not hold.
Where
- Kyiv Pechersk Lavra the site; this page is the community that sat on it
Other monastery houses
- Monte Cassino about 529 (Gardner, 1911 — not Gregory) · Abbey of Monte Cassino
- Clonmacnoise 547 · Clonmacnoise
- Iona 565 · Iona
- Lindisfarne 635 (the edition’s margin; Bede does not date it) · Lindisfarne
- Streaneshalch two years after Bede’s own 655 · Whitby Abbey
- Bercingum before 674, the edition’s date for Earconwald’s consecration · Barking Abbey
- Kellia no year is recorded · Kellia
- Nitria no year is recorded · Nitria
- Sublacum no year is recorded · Subiaco
After The Russian Primary Chronicle · année 6559 (1051) and the narrative running from it.